Re: Re: Car Clubs and comments on Ricks ideas

To: boballen@sky.net, owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Re: Car Clubs and comments on Ricks ideas
From: MGSMGBGT <MGSMGBGT@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 12:12:27 EST
In a message dated 12/20/97 3:52:09 PM, boballen@sky.net wrote:

<<
Enough of this blabbering. Perhaps we should be thankful that the LBC
hobby is as it is. With the limited interest, we can still find
excellent drivers under $5K and the car is collectable enough to have a
good parts source. We may all whine about the lack of resale and the
cost of restoration but, if they do start to appreciate fast, guys like
me will soon not be able to afford them.

It's a quandary.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, 69CGT, 75TR6, 60Elva

Howard Goldman, owner of Moss,  once told me that the one thing British car
people have to bond them together is a common enemy: the cars.  I believe this
to be true of car people in general.  For those of us who do (or, in my case,
attempt to do) much of their own work I believe there is an appreciation of
what goes into any car, be it LBC, hotrod, muscle car, truck or whatever.  I
generally appreciate the older cars more for their simplicity.
        Like Mr. Allen, I don't have much to do with the take it off and
replace it
crowd who love the new stuff.  Yet I really enjoy my Sterling: my eyes glaze
over and I blubber at the sight of a Viper GTS coupe.  So I cannot say I do
not like new cars, even though I have no plans of ever owning such a car.
         Me and most of my friends also do not fall into the "I spent this much
money
on my car group."  I have no idea how much I've spent on my cars, and do not
really care to know.  Ben Anderson, who some of you know, is selling some of
his collection.  A mutual friend asked him if he would come out on it and he
replied, "I'm not worried about that.  Would I be worried if I came out
financially on bowling?  Truth is, as I see it, most of us love cars.  We
always have and most likely always will.  While we have chosen, generally for
reasons of convenience and budget, to be involved with a particular type (or
maybe two types, which is the maximum most of us can afford) still have a
genuine interest and admiration for all things with wheels, whether we own an
example or not.

Bob Shaw
'53 Chevy wagon, '57 MGA, '65MGB, '74 BGT, '88 Sterling 825SL.