Re: Found My MGB!

To: danray@bluegrass.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Found My MGB!
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 22:20:37 EST
In a message dated 97-12-23 19:55:28 EST, danray@bluegrass.net writes:

> The turn signals worked great until I checked the hazard switch, then they
> started doing funny things. I seem to remember that they work off the same
> relay, and the hazard switch probably hasn't been touched in over a decade!

Dan:

Congratulations on your new toy!

99.99% of the time, when you use the hazard flashers after they haven't been
used for a very long time, the turn signals will quit working. They don't use
the same relay (there is no relay involved in either one), but power for the
turn signal circuit passes through the hazard switch. Power is available to
the turn signals only when the hazard switch is off. Unfortunately, when you
turn the hazard switch on and back off again, corrosion and crud that has
accumulated over the years won't let the TS contacts close properly. If you
want to get your turn signals working temporarily till you can take the hazard
switch apart and clean it, just remove the two green wires from the hazard
switch and connect them together.

One warning, though - if you should do this, and you should ever have both a
turn signal and the hazard switch on at the same time, power will be backfed
through the turn signal switch to the ignition switch. Everything that
normally operates when the key is on will now get power - even with the key
off  - every time the lights flash: on-off, on-off, on-off. Not a problem,
just something to avoid.

> The right head AND taillight didn't work, so that's probably a relay or
> connection too and not the bulbs, right?

There is no relay involved here either, and I wouldn't rule out bad bulbs. By
a process of elimination, you have two problems, not just one, so the bulbs
could very well be the problem. The headlights are connected together and to
the headlight switch by blue/red wires (low beams) and blue/white wires (hi
beams). Since the left light works, the problem is either in the wire between
the left and right side, the connection at the lamp itself, or a bad ground.
The connections at the headlight switch are good, or the left light wouldn't
work. The same analysis applies to the taillight. Power is from the headlight
switch via a red/green wire to a fuse. From the fuse, red wires feed the
taillights, parking lights, dash light dimmer, and marker lights. If all these
work except the right taillight, you can narrow your search considerably - the
problem is going to be limited to the wiring for that one lamp

Hope this has been of some help, and not excessively wordy (I do tend to run
on!).

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74