Re: Rust! Aarrghhh!

To: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Rust! Aarrghhh!
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 16:58:41 -0600
At 09:06 AM 12/23/97 -0800, Christopher Palmer wrote:
>There is no temporary solution for rust!  Attack it as earnestly as
>possible as soon as possible!
>When restoring my '69 Midget, the floor pan was in terrible shape.  I
>treated the rust with a phosphoric acid rust converter (turns iron oxide
>into iron phosphate) and then covered that with Eastwood's Corroless
>(1-800-345-1178).  It worked quite well.
>CTP

mr. palmer is right.  no temporary solution.  the only way to stop rust
well is to remove oxygen from the surface.  without oxygen the rusting
cannot occur.  the best, and probably a temporary cure is to spray
undercoating or some material which is easy to remove later.  by doing so,
you reduce saturation of material by water and oxygen.  No rust.

remember though, guys, just because you stop rust on one side does not mean
it cannot occur on the opposite side.

i do recommend highly the use of zinc primers on engine parts and any other
bare metal surfaces.  This is essentially a permanent cure(if there is such
a thing), which is both ascetically pleasing( can be painted easily) and
extremely durable.  Try your local automotive paint store for this primer.

The Ospho(phosphoric acid does work well as it converts the rust to another
compound which can be painted over, but it is a fix-it remedy which is
good/bad.

Although, I have not used the asphalt spray-on coatings like Waxoyl seem to
be adequate in principle if you spray the goo on both sides of the metal.
Otherwise, it's just false insurance.

Jay