Re: The Encyclopedia of Classic Cars - Review (Long)

To: hert@worldaccess.nl, mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Subject: Re: The Encyclopedia of Classic Cars - Review (Long)
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 16:43:17 -0600
>> Sort of like watching 'The Dukes of Hazard' and claiming to know all about
>> the South....
>You mean it's not realistic? Gee, I'm disapointed.

These are broad shoulders and a thick skin....I'm based out of NYC, where
you tell the natives that you're from the South and they ask if everyone
has indoor plumbing....

>> >Seriously now: the US car industry does not do much to improve the views
>> of their products.

I understand that the Ford Mondeo has done quite well in the EC...

>> >Most brands are not imported officially in the EC and the only mid-market
>> attempt by Chrysler
>> >was the Neon, which confirmed the image (yes: image): terrible handling,
>> bad fuel economy,
>> >ugly as hell etc. Perhaps 20 were sold here and resale prices are the
>> lowest, if you can find
>> >anyone willing to take it.
>>
>> To that I say....Alfasud.
>Great cars, we had two. Best engines you can imagine, great handling, goods
>seats. One tiny problem: you never knew if you'd find it back in the
morning or
>that it would have been eaten by rust. The worst we had lasted five
>cliff.

Here in the States, the shortest lived car had to have been the Fiat.  They
were shipped in with postage slots rusted in the hood (bonnet)!

>Thanks for making me remember the car I learned to drive in!

My pleasure...