Re: The Encyclopedia of Classic Cars - Review (Long)

To: "Leckstein" <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>,
Subject: Re: The Encyclopedia of Classic Cars - Review (Long)
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 21:37:49 -0500

Someone else wrote:
>Bought a new Chevy Impala Covertible in 66.  Small
> V8 with Power Glide, electric windows, power steering and AMFM Radio were
> the options.  I put on 100,000 miles in seven years. Total repairs were
one
> muffler, and one set of front ball joints. Sold the car to a local high
> school Auto shop teacher. He ran a compression test on the engine. The
> specs were as nearly new.

Steve Byers writes:

I bought a '69 Dodge Charger 383 brand new in February of 1969 for $4200.
The original clutch lasted about 200,000 miles, up until 1988.  The
original mufflers hung in there until 1984.  Most of the exhaust pipes on
the car right now are original, and no, they don't have any holes in them.
 While I was having some front suspension work done in 1989, I had the
mechanic pull the pan (obstructed by a tie-rod) and check the bearings in
the engine.  At over 200,000 miles, he reported the bearings were still in
tolerance, and they're still in the car.  I have a 4-speed transmission in
the car, and it has  never had any maintenance other than an occasional oil
change.   Yeah, I vote with those who think Detroit did some things right.
I think I got my money's worth, oh, about 1979.   OLBCC:  I drive a Healey
3000 and a '73 Midget, too.

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain