Re: More BS(FC) or That's the brakes

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More BS(FC) or That's the brakes
From: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 09:57:17 -0600
At 09:33 AM 12/26/97 -0600, Bill Eastman wrote:
>To get the most bsfc out of an engine, you want to do two things.  First,
>you would try to keep as much heat inside the engine as possible in order
>to reduce energy waste.  The preferred engine material for this is cast
>iron and our MG's are blessed with plenty of cast iron in their motors.
>The second thing you would want to do is reduce parasitic losses.  By
>using conservative camshafts that encourage efficiency at low rpm and three
>bearing cranks to reduce friction- at least in the technically superior
>MGA/XPAG/XPEG engines- our LBC's again shine in this area.

Wait a minute.  I know that heat=energy, and that a car runs better at higher
temps (say 200 degrees F), but how does keeping heat in help keep fuel
consumption down.  If I had my "ruthers," I would love to have a nice
aluminum engine block and head, and take the 100 pound weight savings.
Also, are the frictional loses from three vs. five bearings a real big deal.

>Regards,
>Bill Eastman
>61 MGA with scientifically proven superior engine to 5 bearing MGB's or,
>heaven help us, 7 bearing C's

So your car looks better, but I could smoke you any day on the street.

Jay
70 MGB with scientifically proven inefficient siamesed exhaust ports inferior
to most engines on the market today