Re: More BS(FC) or That's the brakes

To: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Subject: Re: More BS(FC) or That's the brakes
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 21:57:59 -0700
Much, much snipped for brevity.

>I still don't think the gains will justify the
>cost and effort involved in making the swap. I will also admit that I
>wouldn't mind having an OD, but I would be happier with a 5-speed.

This is not logical to me.  With overdrive, you can use six different
speeds.  They are 1, 2, 3, 3OD, 4, 4OD.  I rather have the overdrive than a
5 speed.  Also, I'm not sure, but I doubt that the friction loss in the OD
is a lot higher than in a 5th gearing mechanism.  I have overdrive on my
MGB, and I'll tell you what, I don't care if I am getting better mileage or
not, the car is so much more comfortable and quiet with overdrive I am very
happy to have it.  Anyhow, my highway speed limit is 75, and I've been known
to go much faster than that.  Overdrive is a distinct advantage for the
drivability reguardless of the economy of it.

Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C