It Runs.. well, almost!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: It Runs.. well, almost!
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 19:02:40 -0500
As you can guess by the title, the car ran for the first time with me as an
owner today!

The almost part --

The aftermarket Weber carb needs to be rebuilt. It won't really run at all
w/o help from starter fluid.

It was as I thought. The body of the ignition module itself needed to be
grounded for spark to happen. As it turned out when I replaced the module,
I failed to mount it back to the body of the car. Today I just mounted the
box and screwed the coil in above it. We got a really, really nice spark
out of the thing when we cranked it over. Of course, the plugs (early 80's
vintage NGK's) needed to be cleaned, and the gas tank needs to be drained
and cleaned (we had RED gas!)

Oil pressure was right on the money, from what I believe. Around 75-80psi
when I started the car up. Not bad! I love how the tach waits a few seconds
before moving from 0 as well! =)

We (my mechanic and I) also put it up on the lift. Found some pretty
interesting things:

Almost no rust on the underside of the car. My mechanic was amazed because
my car was in better shape than the other MG on the lot, and it's owner
paid twice what I paid for it! (Thanks, David!)

We also found NO shock absorbers. I'm not sure if the car had them or not.
Right now, there are four axel straps on the car (one of which need to be
replaced)

I also need two rear wheel cylinders.

Oh... and a nice straight pipe exhaust! (Out of which came a pile of red
debris when we started the car!) Can you say, "No way in hell this will
pass emissions?" =)

That's about it! Man oh man am I excited. I'm going to be hunting Moss for
the weber rebuild kit now. (Anyone know of any other place for em besides
Moss?)

Thanks!

BEN RUSET - mailto:bruset@monmouth.com
MG Cars Webring Admin.