Plugging Oil Filler Cap Vent Hole?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Plugging Oil Filler Cap Vent Hole?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 01:36:18 +0000
Here's hoping Some of you can help me out before I do something
stupid and send my engine in for a third rebuild in as many months.
        I have one of the cast aluminum valve covers on my 72 MGB, and a
little bit of oil is being spat up through the vent hole in the
filler cap.  It's not enough to be a leakage problem, but it's hard
to clean out of the ribs on top of the cover.  Can I plug the vent
hole with no problems?  I would assume that any excess pressure under
the valve cover would find its way down through the pushrod holes and
into the tappet chests, where it would be sucked out into the carbs,
so I'm not too clear on the purpose of the vent hole to begin with.
        If it makes a difference, there is no provision for the charcoal
canister hose on this valve cover, so it's not connected right now.
Any suggestions?
Thanks much
Scott Gardner
gardner7@pilot.infi.net