Re: Rubber Bumpers MGs and the complainers

To: Mike Hartwig <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Subject: Re: Rubber Bumpers MGs and the complainers
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 10:33:43 -0500
>come on guys; lighten up
>let's see:
>'78 B vs. '70 B
>less power, higher ride height, uglier dash(opinion!), damned emissions
>control
>

>If one were to purchase a later model B and upgrade like Ken Roach says,
then
>you would have spent way more than if you just purchased a nice chrome
>bumper ed car in the first place:
>Replacing front cross member
>"Ron Hopkinson" style sway bar

That's an option though. Lowering the car via springs should better handling.

>I have no problem with rubber bumper Bs.  It's just fact that the chrome
>bumper
>models are better; hands down.  You see, those Brits drink warm beer.
>Couple warm
>beer with a tightening automobile market and tightened restrictions by
>government
>and you have a disaster on yer hands.

How are they "better" - lets consider that many chrome models are either:

1) rusted to oblivion, and therefore inexpensive
2) in decent shape, and commanding $3000+
3) in restored shape, and commanding $5000+

whereas I got a nice, decent 78 B with little rust, some stupid ignition
problems, etc for $800, plus $150 for tow.
so far I have spent $20 on the car in repairs. it runs now.

>Of course, all of the above statements are fact and no opinion; we

Uhm, shouldn't that be reversed?

>all know the MGA is the most beautiful car British Leyland made.  Now,

Yup. BL really knew what... hey, wait a second! BL wasn't around until the
70s! =)

Aah, well! Nothing beats the styling of old #1 anyway. THAT's a car I'd
drive around! =)

BEN RUSET - mailto:bruset@monmouth.com
MG Cars Webring Admin.
MG Cars Webring - http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis/mgring