Re: Piper Cam was: Chrome vs. Rubber

To: Teacher122@aol.com
Subject: Re: Piper Cam was: Chrome vs. Rubber
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 00:28:29 +0000
> In a message dated 98-01-01 16:33:54 EST, ken.roach@sk.sympatico.ca writes:
>
> <<
>  Chris,
>  I would be interested hearing your experiences with this cam.  I have
>  been thinking of using the Piper 270 in my rebuild, but I am
>  considered about tractability.  Will this cam idle at 1000rpm or
>  below?  Did you have any problems with clearance to the valve cut-outs
>  in the block?  Some mag. articles have suggested that you have to
>  grind these cut outs to provide clearance with a higher lift cam while
>  others seem to ignore this point.  I would appreciate opinions from
>  other listers who are using this cam as well.
>   >>
> Chris,
>
>      I just put one in this fall and the car runs great.  The cam is very
> streetable.  My car wouldn't idle below 1,000 rpm prior to the cam and seems
> to idle about the same now-it's a carb problem.  No extra machine work on the
> block was needed.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it!!  Good luck!
>
> Tom Green

Chris,
        I'd like to add my praise for the Piper 270.  I used the 270 HR/2,
from Brit-Tek, but I don't think the exact flavor of 270 matters.
According to Bob at Brit-Tek, the three varieties have slightly
different grinds, but that you wouldn't be able to tell the
difference between the three if they were intalled in three identical
cars.
        My car idles fine at 1000, but I also think I have a carb problem,
because it's pretty rough below 1000.  I'm not going to worry about
it, because I'm wanting to replace the Weber anyway with the original
SUs, currently in a box.
        I noticed an improvement in high-rpm running.  My car used to run
out of steam at about 4500 RPM, but now pulls all the way to redline.
 I didn't think the horsepower increases were any great shakes, but
the 270 is still a pretty mild cam, so I wasn't expecting much.
Also, my compression ratio is down in the 6.5-7.5 range, so I'd
probably need to swap for some different pistons before I could
fairly evaluate the Piper cam.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com