Re: Piper Cams, noise, etc...

To: wmasseng@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Piper Cams, noise, etc...
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 00:28:29 +0000
> Matt Kulka Wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if one of those cast aluminum valve covers
> > quiets things down?  I know it's an expensive fix for a non-problem, but
> > the cat's at the vet, and he asked me to watch his curiousity.
>
> Yes they do. And that's about all they do besides look nice. Mine is
> power coated black and co-ordinated with my K&N air filter system with
> the MG octagon on it. I paid $200+ to do that. Mid life crisis, I guess.
>
> Another noise reduction thing is to insulate under the hood. The thicker
> the better in terms of noise.
>
> And on the subject of noise, I ran some foam weather seal, the kind used
> on household doors and windows, around the battery box cover. Wow, what
> an improvement! Much quieter.
>
> Wade
> Daisy the yellow car is a 70 MGB

Matt,
        I have the cast aluminum cover as well, and I think it helped the
noise some.   I'm not sure, because I put the new cover on right
after having the engine rebuilt, so I can't attribute all of the
noise reduction to the cover.
        Long before the rebuild, I did put some Dynamat on the underside of
the hood, and that helped more than anything else.  I think the hood
originally had some noise insulation, but it's probably long since
been removed from your car.
        The insulation under the battery box cover sounds like a good idea.
Mine doesn't rattle, but some Dynamat under the cover couldn't hurt
things a bit.  I drove home with the cover off once last month after
giving a friend a jump. (We had just come back from two weeks of
survival school in Maine, and a low drain had gotten the best of his
battery), and I was amazed at the amount of road and exhaust noise
that came up through the opening.  If I were to ever start from
scratch with a new bodyshell, I think my first step would be to add
about 70 pounds of Dynamat.  I've done this before, building
competition car audio systems, and the difference is amazing, to ay
the least.
Scott