Re: Rover 3.5L, 3.9L, 4.1L?

To: gardner7@pilot.infi.net
Subject: Re: Rover 3.5L, 3.9L, 4.1L?
From: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 02:22:55 -0700
Scott, the engine was first developed by GM and used in various GM
products in 1961-63.  Subsequently sold to Rover.  The first Rover 3.5L
was essentially the same as the Buick engine.  Rover upgraded some of the
block engineering and the manufacturing process, then started to increase
the size.  The size was increased by using a longer stroke and bigger
bores.  I believe it was in 1989 the engine became a 3.9L.  In 1992 4.2L,
and now a 4.0L and 4.6L (new block design).

The engine was used in many British cars including, Rover, TVR, MG,
Triumph, etc.  It has also been used in airplanes (I knew I would get
your attention), power boats, racing cars, hot rods, and of course MG
conversions.

Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
===============================
On Sun, 4 Jan 1998 04:00:17 +0000 "Scott Gardner"
<gardner7@pilot.infi.net> writes:
>Speaking of Rover engines, I've seen the 3.5L mentioned all over the
>place as being a version of the Buick 215, but what are the Rover
>3.9L and 4.1L, and where would you find them?  Are they distinct
>engines used in production cars, or are they just bored and/or
>stroked versions of the 3.5L?  I know I've asked this before, I just
>can't remember the answer. (Pitfalls of being too quick to delete old
>posts.)
Snip