RE: MGs in the city...

To: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGs in the city...
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 98 00:19:24 UT
Kai,

Having driven my MG into NYC for about three years (88-91), on a daily basis,
I'd have to say that you'd have a distinct advantage in an MG!!!

1. Small for parking
2. Narrow enough to negotiate those tight spaces with comfort (e.g., the space
between a bus and a cab at a light - pull right up!!)
3. Nimble to avoid all the terrorist on bicycles and in cabs

As far as break-ins and other city maladies you are on an even keel with
everyone else.  I use to park mine in a garage, but that said, don't leave
ANYTHING exposed.  It doesn't matter if it's your wallet or an old pair of
smelly sneakers, if it's in sight and exposed it will be stolen.  Lock up your
stuff in the trunk.  Do not install a radio (or use a removable one!).

Some cautions:

1. Do your girl watching at stop lights not while your driving.  In city
traffic your surrounding can change very quickly and you need to be prepared.
2. Don't spend too much time staring at the tops of the building when your top
is down - the pigeons have good aim.

I would advise against using a Midget in the city as someone might just pick
it up , put it in their pocket and use it as a paperweight in the home or
office.  Other than this, smile a lot and have fun.

Dr. Doug
(Recently returned from a multiple week hiatus - Happy New Year)