Re: Long distance towing -Reply

To: "Matt Kulka" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Long distance towing -Reply
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 98 08:28:29 -0500
>I have neither wire wheels, nor a car that I'll be towing (leave alone
>even driving in reverse since the dang motor's in pieces), but this sure
>looks like an interesting phenomenon.  Anyone care to explain the
>details?
>
>Larry Macy:
>I think if you want to use the B for a
>daily driver your best bet would be a dolly that you could back the car
>onto. Secure the steering wheel so the front (now rear) of the car won't
>wander.  Then drive off and away you go!!
>
>Bob Allen:
>There might be a little, teensy, caveat about towing a wire-wheeled car
>backwards. You know, the part about the wheels falling off?
>
>Larry Macy:
>Oh Man,
>Hell of a good point. I have a friend whom has a Tr***ph that had a
>wheel
>fall of while in reverse in a corner and it did tear up the front end
>and
>the brake rotor etc.
>Sorry I missed that point.
Well Bob will come up with some long technical and humorous explanation
but here is the gist of it.
The knockoffs on wire wheels are "sided" that is the one on the left
turns clockwise and the one on the right turns anti-clockwise. This is so
when the car be goin' the wheels are not tryin' to spin the knockoffs
off. if the be goin' backwards the knockoffs might be for spinnin' off.

Bob, Your turn.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Or I could be completely bassackwards.