RE: Long distance towing

To: "RossOvercash" <jroverca@tiac.net>, "Scott Wagner" <c332959@h281.mdc.com>,
Subject: RE: Long distance towing
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 23:26:48 -0600
At 09:17 PM 1/7/98 -0500, RossOvercash wrote:
>Scott to tow your MG you must either raise the rear wheels off the ground
>and secure the steering wheel or remove the drive shaft from the flange at
>the differential (four bolts) and tie it up.  This will prevent the trany
>from excessive wear. I have towed my MG using a tow dolly on two occasions.
>Both trips were in excess of 1200 miles, with no ill effects.

Guys,
I have, over the years, flat towed cars from coast to coast; I think that a
little caution/reality check is in order.
You really don't have to pull the driveshaft, or jack up the front/rear of
the car to tow it.  Take it out of gear, make sure the handbrake is off,
and away you go.  If you are towing a car with a manual trans, the wear is
the same as if you were driving your car. With a simple A frame tow bar,
your car will follow you wherever you go (unlike many airline wives).
The longest flat tow that I have made was just under 2000 miles, when I was
forced to flat tow due to an accident with my trailer.
Now for the caution:  Be sure that the vehicle towed has lights that work
in conjunction with the tow vehicle, and make sure that the tow vehicle has
enough power AND brakes strong enough to do the job.  Make sure that the
tow bar is SECURELY fixed to the towed vehicle (there is nothing quite as
surprising as being passed by your own car without anyone at the wheel).
Use safety chains: They are cheap insurance!
If the car that you are towing is a piece of c.....   that is to say,
mechanically challenged, rent a trailer;  this will prevent tragi-comic
scenes along the highway.

Regards,
Ray

PS...One last thing.....again, make sure that the handbrake is
OFF....that's a whole 'nother story.