Re: Rear speakers....

To: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Rear speakers....
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:50:12 -0500
Hello Scott:

I would like to offer you my sincere apologies.  I didn't mean to imply
that you were a person who would use music irresponsibly - you drive an MG.
I was referring to the stereotypical slack-jawed youth inhabiting a
tinted-window Honda Accord with the volume at 10 tenths.  I have no quarrel
with a decent sound system, God knows my MG could use something which could
be heard over the wind/engine noise.

I do however, as a person who is trying to live with considerable hearing
loss, worry about the future of those who don't seem to understand the
direct relationship between certain noise and hearing damage.  I should
point out that even driving our beloved LBCs contributes to hearing damage
if ear plugs are not used.  As a motorcyclist, I know that wind noise is a
powerful source of hearing loss.   I also realize that those of us who are
active in car restoration should sit down and examine whether we are taking
proper precautions in the shop.

The real enemies of hearing are often found in the commonest shop
activities, such as using air pressure to dry parts, operating grinders and
saws and hammering.  How many of you have hearing protection muffs or ear
plugs handy and use them?

I'll get off the soap box now, and again, Scott, please accept my apology.
I have always assumed that you and the rest of the listers were too clever
to indulge in unsafe practices.

John McEwen

32 years teaching music
10 years singing rock