Re: Battery in the Trunk? Compression

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>
Subject: Re: Battery in the Trunk? Compression
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 20:23:03 -0500
DANIEL RAY wrote:

> Listers:
>         Well, I did my first check of the '73 B today. Not too bad...one
>leaky shock and one leaky wheel cylinder. Brakes will be the first job.
> The battery has been installed in the trunk (boot) and a non-SU fuel pump
>installed in the right side battery bracket where the battery should be. I
>seem to remember someone talking about installing the battery in the trunk a
>while back. Right now, there are no brackets holding it in!
>         I also ran a compression check -- not very good numbers. Three of the
>cylinders are showing 75-80 and one is at about 55! Could this one be a burnt
>valve? Its a lead-head (original I think) and has been run on unleaded gas
>with lead additive for a while by the PO. What are the chances that a new head
>will solve the problem? How BAD are these compression numbers? Should I
>suspect the well-used guage or are they bullet-proof? The car runs strong but
>does have a slight miss, I'm thinking pr
> Any suggestions or comments?
> TIA
> Dan
borrow a guage and rerun the compression check.  if the numbers are
still low, put oil in a "squirt" type oil can and squirt 3 or 4 pumps
into a cylinder and rerun the check.  repwat this for each cylinder -
remeber to squirt and check 1 cylinder at a time.  this is a "wet"
check.  if the compression pressure increases significantly, say 85 and
then rechecks at 120, you have bad rings.  the oil temporarily seals the
rings and this leads to the dramatic increase. if the rate reads the
same, you probably have a burned valve so the pressure escapes every
time. a stuck valve cold lead to the same results.  the easy way to
check sor stuck valves is to remove the valve cover and rocker assy.  if
a valve is stuck open. the stem of the valve will be lower than the rest
of the valve stems.  the chances of all cylinders having a stuck valve
is very remote.  fix it, don't try to give it an asprin tablet. let me
knwo if we can help.  good luck, ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive