Re: Battery in the Trunk? Compression

To: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>, "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Battery in the Trunk? Compression
From: Skip Kelsey <kelsey@value.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 14:44:25 -0800
Dan:

I'm afraid that the head is toast. You might try a leak down test, but the
valves are probably beyond their service life. I would tend to the braking
system first and then think about pulling the head, and doing a first rate
three angle valve job, using bronze guides, and S/S valves. I  would also
check and see if it does in fact have hard seats installed. It not, then
now is the time to do it.

Cheers:

Skip.............At 04:34 PM 1/11/98 -0600, DANIEL RAY wrote:
>Listers:
>       Well, I did my first check of the '73 B today. Not too bad...one leaky
shock and one leaky wheel cylinder. Brakes will be the first job.
>The battery has been installed in the trunk (boot) and a non-SU fuel pump
installed in the right side battery bracket where the battery should be. I
seem to remember someone talking about installing the battery in the trunk
a while back. Right now, there are no brackets holding it in!
>       I also ran a compression check -- not very good numbers. Three of the
cylinders are showing 75-80 and one is at about 55! Could this one be a
burnt valve? Its a lead-head (original I think) and has been run on
unleaded gas with lead additive for a while by the PO. What are the chances
that a new head will solve the problem? How BAD are these compression
numbers? Should I suspect the well-used guage or are they bullet-proof? The
car runs strong but does have a slight miss, I'm thinking probably from the
one weak cylinder.