Battery in the Trunk? Compression

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Battery in the Trunk? Compression
From: DANIEL RAY <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 16:34:42 -0600
Listers:
        Well, I did my first check of the '73 B today. Not too bad...one leaky =
shock and one leaky wheel cylinder. Brakes will be the first job.
The battery has been installed in the trunk (boot) and a non-SU fuel =
pump installed in the right side battery bracket where the battery =
should be. I seem to remember someone talking about installing the =
battery in the trunk a while back. Right now, there are no brackets =
holding it in!=20
        I also ran a compression check -- not very good numbers. Three of the =
cylinders are showing 75-80 and one is at about 55! Could this one be a =
burnt valve? Its a lead-head (original I think) and has been run on =
unleaded gas with lead additive for a while by the PO. What are the =
chances that a new head will solve the problem? How BAD are these =
compression numbers? Should I suspect the well-used guage or are they =
bullet-proof? The car runs strong but does have a slight miss, I'm =
thinking probably from the one weak cylinder.
Any suggestions or comments?
TIA
Dan