Re: Steering Wheel Resoration

To: danray@bluegrass.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Resoration
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 23:31:34 EST
DAN>  ... how to improve it:  Like a combat boot - strip it, dye it and
polish it with Kiwi to a high "spit-shine" (I've got a LITTLE experience
with this, like 13 years worth).  Now, I don't want the polish to come
off in my hands, so should I seal it with something?  A good "spit-shine"
(no, not with real spit) shouldn't rub off, but I would think sealing it
might help the job last longer.  Any ideas on a good clear leather
sealant?  Is treating a steering wheel like a combat boot silly?

RICH's $0.02>  It will only be silly if you strap one on each foot prior
to humping a ruck to anyplace you could drive to....  That said, it makes
good sense to me.  We used to use a urethane based wood finish called
'Varethane' on the boots we used only for parades and inspections ('cept
for that one smartass that went out and found a set of patent leather
Corcoran's).  I imagine you could use it or a similar product for your
steering wheel.  Treat it just like you would a boot:  Clean, strip,
re-dye, polish, then apply the Varathane (spray can), then bake 'em in an
oven.

Barring that, check with a local leather supply house (I can see the
comments on that one already, and I have seen most of you there, too),
and see if they carry a product for placing a hard gloss shine on leather
products (ie, Sam Browne Belts).

So, were you a real soldier, or in some branch other than the Army?

Luck,

Rich