RE: Definition of "Thunderbirds"

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Definition of "Thunderbirds"
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:33:01 -0800
Greetings,
As a confirmed Yank anglophile and trivia expert, allow me to provide
these simple definitions:

Thunderbirds (USA) - the US precision flight demonstration team, formed
in 1949 or thereabouts, first flying straight-wing F-84 Thunderjets,
progressing later to F-100 Super Sabres, F-4 Phantoms, and now F-16
Fighting Falcons.  The equivalent in the UK is the RAF Red Arrows team.

Thunderbirds (UK) - A science-fiction TV series by Gerry Anderson, one
of the last to use lifelike marionettes ("Supermarionation").  The
setting is a secret base that is the headquarters of International
Rescue, a team of pilots and scientists who respond to all manner of
crises with futuristic jet and rocket powered craft.  I seem to remember
one was a large cargo jet that looked like a gigantic toad.  Anderson
went on to produce the live-action series Space-1999, with Martin Landau
and Barbara Bain.