Re: Petrol (or should that be gas?)

To: "Jurgen Hartwig" <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>,
Subject: Re: Petrol (or should that be gas?)
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 98 21:02:18 -0000
On 16/1/98 8:33 pm Jurgen Hartwig said

Jurgen,

Thanks for your very useful replyreply

>I am not certain about the benzene concentration in your Super Unleaded,
>but realistically, I would not worry too much.  In some of my OSHA(safety
>and health regulatory agency here in US) 40-hour training for
>environmental workers, I remember getting an instrument out and sticking
>this into the gas tank of my MGB.  It basically pegged the meter as far =
as
>benzene is concerned.  The concentration of benzene, while quite high,
>isn't enough to cause problems, unless you are a gas station attendant =
and
>are exposed to fumes for lengthy times(years).
I believe that the scares about benzine are unfounded, but sadly many =
garages have stocked selling Super Unleaded. Also, it is more =
expensive than regular unleaded

>I would imagine the biggest impact to your country might be the expense =
of
>using gasoline with more additives to raise octane.  I imagine this gas
>would be more expensive.
>But then I look at the 92 octane premium gas here in Atlanta, GA for
>$1.13/gallon, and I wonder how cheap it really is to make.
Sounds very cheap to me. We pay around =A30.67 per litre in England =
:-(
>I think the main reason for cheap gas here is the fact that Atlantans
>combined put over 1,000,000 miles(1.6 Million km) on the roads each day.
>More than any other city in America and possibly the world.  Pathetic!
That sounds like a reason to put UP the price to discourage drivers =
=AD that's the attitude of the UK Government; price drivers off the =
road. The arguement falls down though when there is no alternative to =
using a car.

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk