Re: Petrol (or should that be gas?)

To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Subject: Re: Petrol (or should that be gas?)
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 15:42:02 -0600
Phil Raby wrote:

> Also, what type of petrol is available in the US now? In England we have Four
>Star (98 Octane leaded), Super Unleaded (98 octane) and Unleaded (95 Octane).
>Super Unleaded is required for some performance cars but is not readily
>available anymore because of scares about its benzine content.

I see some of the chillin' have checked in that, since they have never put
anything but unleaded gas in their tanks, they are the experts in the area and
it is no big deal. Ah the wisdom of youth.

Of course, they didn't have to drive all of those chicken-shit cars of the late
70's and early 80's before the digital age got under the hood, turned the tide
of performance, and made Wal-Mart greeters out of all the independent garage
mechanics.

I do miss the days of big V8s with very high compression numbers and carburetor
throats that could store a six-pack. Say what you want but 400 ft pounds of
torque at 2,000 RPM have raised more male egos than Baywatch ever will.

All of that went away with unleaded gas and the drop in octane that came with
it. The pitiful swill that we have to use today requires the beloved computers,
fuel injection, knock detectors, and oxygen sensors to keep the poor motors
from melting down. Fortunately this is only really serious
on high performance motors which is so rarely seen in LBCs.

The rich folks with the Aston Martins, old Ferraris, XK Jaguars, and any number
of the might mini-motors with turbos will be in a world of hurt. I can't get
myself to pity anyone who has held the paper on an Aston Martin, however.

As for some specificity, in Kansas City it's all unleaded and the best octane
available is 91. Occasionally I've seen 93 at Amoco stations on a road trip.
Currently the 87 octane cheap stuff is selling for $0.95 if you shop and the
good stuff is $1.17. That's self serve.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
"Heard from Larry's o'lady:  If At First You Don't Succeed... Get New