Re: Work Report: MGB Suspension mods

To: keithw@sand.net
Subject: Re: Work Report: MGB Suspension mods
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 07:03:41 +0000
<<SNIP>>

> I did however manage to do some major suspension work,
> replacing the stock RB front springs with some 8" free length
> nice-and-stiff types (so much easier to get those in
> and out of a 'B than compressing those RB 10.25" things!).

<<SNIP>>
> -Keith Wheeler
> Team Sanctuary                        http://www.teamsanctuary.com/

So Keith, how DID you compress the old springs?  I removed the
springs on my '72 to replace the A-arms, and none of the spring
compressors I could find could be maneuvered into the available
space.  I ended up putting a half-dozen jumbo radiator hose clamps on
each one and slowly tightened them in sequence until the spring was
short enough to remove.  I probably looked like a bomb squad tech
carrying the springs away from the car, I was so worried the clamps
wouldn't hold until I got the spring over to the wall-mount
compressor!
Scott