Re: Work Report: MGB Suspension mods

To: Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Work Report: MGB Suspension mods
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 19:20:36 -0800
Scott Gardner wrote:

> Maybe it's a chrome bumper/rubber bumper thing, but I found that on
> my '72, placing a jack under the spring pan does nothing but lift
> that corner of the car off the ground.  The spring hardly compresses
> at all.  To finish the job last time, I had to borrow a 235-pound man
> from an adjacent stall and ask him to sit on my fender while I jacked
> under the spring pan.  Without the added weight, all of the parts of
> the car just moved upwards atthe same time, with no relative motion
> between them.  Only with the added weight could I get the spring pan
> to move up with the body staying still.
> Scott

It's either a socio-economic car thing that I wouldn't understand or saggy
springs...I'll opt for saggy springs.  8-)

Seriously though, my cars did lift off of the ground, but the spring did
compress.
When I removed the bolts they were stripped from the force of removal, but I
bought
new bolts and nuts for reassembly anyway, so I didn't care.  Lining those four
holes
up is one of the most miserable jobs that I've ever done to my MG!  Nothing
like the
fear of a slipping jack to make your work hasty!
--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College