Work Report: MGB Suspension mods

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Work Report: MGB Suspension mods
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:09:42
I did not get the planned work done this weekend on my 'B.
I was going to change diff thrust washers and write up a
report on that, but, on getting to my workspace, I found I
had failed to bring that stupid little roll pin, so the
diff becomes a "next time" issue.

I did however manage to do some major suspension work,
replacing the stock RB front springs with some 8" free length
nice-and-stiff types (so much easier to get those in
and out of a 'B than compressing those RB 10.25" things!).

Lowering blocks and new rebound straps in the back, plus
nylatron shackle bushings.

At the front, I replaced the A-arm pivot to crossmember
bolts, and torqued 'em down.  This seems to be one place
where the 'B rattles itself, as 2 of the 8 bolts were loose.

I also changed the wishbones for new negative camber types,
with V-8 inner/lower bushings.

Work time: approx 10 hours.

Problems:  1 stripped nut that I had to use the Dremel on,
        and the afore mentioned hated RB coil spring removal.

Hints:  take a wire brush to the rear shackle pins to make
        installing the nylatron bushings easier, fab your
        own coil spring remover with a piece of plate and
        some store-bought compressors

Results:
        Of course the 'B looks much better down low, where
it was designed to be.  The car feels much tighter, and
turns in wonderfully.  Still very 'B like, but much more
immediate response and a lot less understeer.  Front
tyres chirp under hard straight line braking.  Feels nice
with the worn out street tyres that are on it now,
bet it'll be fantastic with some super sticky rubber.

With this set-up the car is a bit skittish in the rough,
nothing bad, but stay alert, and the dirty/dusty road
I did some testing on felt slicker than the last time
I'd driven it, so maybe this isn't the route to take
if one wanted to do something insane like build a
Pro-Rally MGB GT. (Which is something on my list of
things to do!)

I can't wait to get it on an autocross course!

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                  http://www.teamsanctuary.com/