Re: More HP for less $, was aftermarket air-cleaner assemblies

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: More HP for less $, was aftermarket air-cleaner assemblies
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:20:51 EST
Dan,
 What Andy was getting at, I think, was that alterations should be
thought out carefully before the first wrench is turned.
 Yes you can gain the odd couple of HP by going with WELL DESIGNED
components, without breaking the bank.
 Like wise there is a myriad of tuning tricks to pick up hp , without a
outlay of money
 For instance, on an under 2 litre  4 cylinder engine, about 2 hp can be
gained by simply indexing the spark plugs. This consists of matching the
plugs to the cylinders such that the open side of the gap (opposite the
side electrode) is facing toward the intake valve. Procedure is simple.
Mark each plug (on the hex or metal portion) with a felt tip marker to
indicate the gap opening. Install the plugs, one at a time in the engine,
trying each one in turn till you get the one that when tightened, has the
mark faceing the intake valve. Continue with each cylinder mixing and
matching. (I've never had to have ove 6 plugs on hand to get a good
match)  Perfect alignment isn't neccessary, just as close as possible.
 The incomeing intake charge, by being allowed to pass unrestricted over
the face of the plug, cooling and cleaning the plug on each intake cycle.
 It works, too.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget