Re: General MGB questions

To: sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu
Subject: Re: General MGB questions
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:00:54 EST
On Tue, 20 Jan 98 13:32:15 EST Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
writes:
>Hey all,
>Just some curiousities on my part:
>
>How do those "knock-off" wire wheels fit to the car/what holds 'em on?
>Pardon the ignorance here, I'm used to lug nuts and lug bolts :-)

They fit on to splined hubs held on with knock offs which are variously
threaded so as to not unscrew themselves!(i.e. they are not
interchangable
between wheels)

>Convertible tops:  What sort of tops to the Bs have?  My frame of
>reference is a Karmann Ghia, which consists of an outer shell, then a
>layer of horsehair padding, and then a headliner.  It also has a glass
>rear window with electric defroster.  Does the MGB have anything this
>elaborate or is it just a simple top?

There are three basic types consistent with production and there are
numerous aftermarket types.
The 62-70 cars have collapsable/removeable frames with vinyl tops
and clear plastic windows
70-77(i think) have a fixed fram with a broadly similar vinyl top
77-80 also fixed frame though slightly modified
You can get aftermarket tops in mohair, lined, all bells and whistles
at horrific prices - once you get a Moss or VB catalogue you will
see what i mean

>What about side windows:  roll up glass ones or side curtains?  I
>imagine the later ones have real windows, but I don't know much about
>the early ones.

All have roll up  glass windows