Re: dual batteries?

To: craigw@sonic.net
Subject: Re: dual batteries?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:37:59 +0000
> At 11:01 PM 1/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
> >At 10:45 PM 1/21/98 EST, michael j robson wrote:

> Most did. I converted my '74 B to a single Group 26 battery this summer.
> Now in winter I've found that the single battery doesn't quite have the
> cranking power that the duals did.  However, I'm also not driving the B as
> much with the rain and all, so the fact that I'm averaging about one spin a
> week might have a little to do with the battery not working as well as when
> I'm driving everyday in warmer weather.
>
> Craig Wiper
> early '74 B

Craig,
        Well, if worse comes to worse and your lack of cranking power
becomes a problem, you can get a second Group 26 battery, put it in
the other well, and wire them in parallel.  There are even relay
circuits that will momentarily switch them to series wiring during
starting.  Twenty-four volts will really make a 12-volt starter
zing!  This isn't as weird as it sounds, because I have seen similar
setups on hot rods to increase the voltage to the ignition system at
full throttle.  I have also seen some twelve-volt VW Beetles that
have six-volt starters, just because it makes any-weather starting
easier.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com