Re: Clicking sound...

To: miker15@juno.com
Subject: Re: Clicking sound...
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:24:49 +0000
> On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:03:50 -0600 (CST) Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
> writes:
> >Just today, I started noticing a clicking sound coming from the engine
> >compartment....I quickly opened it up in the Wal-Mart parking lot, in
> >the
> >rain to see where it might be coming from.  It seemed to come from the
> >general direction of the alternator (although I could be mistaken).  I
> >haven't had any time to go into it yet, but I was just needing some
> >info
> >before I might dive in and mess something up.  ;)
> >
> >Anyone have any ideas?  What would need to be done if it is the
> >alternator?
> >Any suggestions?
> >
> >Just let me know, and thanks as always for putting up with my little
> >problems.  :)
> >
> >Blake Wylie
> >1970 MGB
> >
> Likely, and hopefully, the alternator has moved ever so slightly on its
> mountings and something is lightly fouling the fins - if so there will
> likely be little bright spots on them making it easy to trace what it is
> if so - its an easy fix, if not, its something else!!!!!!!!!1
>
> mike robson

This very thing happened to me a few months back.  One of the bolts
in the alternator bracket had fallen out, and allowed the bracket to
occaisonally swing into the path of the alternator blades.  It makes
a very high-pitched "pinging" noise.  I actually had the head off,
looking for something that would make the engine ping, until I
noticed the bright spots on the alternator fins!
Scott