Re: Debugging MGB fuel system

To: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: Debugging MGB fuel system
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 01:40:08 -0500
Blake Wylie wrote:
> You only need one line running to the back float.  The connector looking
> thing that is the lowest level should be for the overflow...it shouldn't be
> connected to anything (unless you have the stock overflow pipes which run
> out of the engine bay).

  Which direction does the "overflow" one point? The lowest one
might be a bit of a crap shoot. (I have the units in my hand right
now, which was a mistake since of course they reek of petrol)

> So, basically you need a line running from the pump to the front bowl, then
> from that same level, you have a line running to the back bowl.  Nothing
> should be on the lower level connector.

  I think I am putting the story together like Scotland Yard. This might
be related to my stuck/leaky needles. The DPO probably
saw fuel pouring out of the overflows whenever the key was turned,
and assumed a hose was missing and bridged them together.

> Hopefully, after you get those carbs in decent shape (and not have lines
> running everywhere), you can get the car cranked.  It may not run very well,
> and don't expect it to, but after that, we can get on with tuning those
> babies.  And that's not too hard once you learn how.  :)  We'll get to that
> when the time comes, I guess.  :)

  Indeed, many thanks.

  I certainly don't expect to start it up and drive away, but I was
ignoring a lot of the finer tunings after checking to see they
"should be close enough to start the darn thing".

  Thanks very much. We have to keep our 1970 Bs on the road. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada