Re: Debugging MGB fuel system

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Debugging MGB fuel system
From: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:52:18 -0600 (CST)
At 01:40 AM 1/24/98 -0500, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>  Which direction does the "overflow" one point? The lowest one
>might be a bit of a crap shoot. (I have the units in my hand right
>now, which was a mistake since of course they reek of petrol)

Well, they are the lower ones (altitude wise)....heh...The front one faces
in the general direction of the front of the car...sort of...and toward the
driver's side.  The rear is pointing toward the rear and driver's side.  I'm
not looking at it right now, so that's basically the best description I can
give, although not a good one.  :)

>> So, basically you need a line running from the pump to the front bowl, then
>> from that same level, you have a line running to the back bowl.  Nothing
>> should be on the lower level connector.
>
>  I think I am putting the story together like Scotland Yard. This might
>be related to my stuck/leaky needles. The DPO probably
>saw fuel pouring out of the overflows whenever the key was turned,
>and assumed a hose was missing and bridged them together.

Heh...they were flooding.  :)  Replace the needles and guage the float
levels by using a 1/8ths drill bit (which you are doing and have done from
what I have read).  :)

>> Hopefully, after you get those carbs in decent shape (and not have lines
>> running everywhere), you can get the car cranked.  It may not run very well,
>> and don't expect it to, but after that, we can get on with tuning those
>> babies.  And that's not too hard once you learn how.  :)  We'll get to that
>> when the time comes, I guess.  :)
>
>  Indeed, many thanks.
>
>  I certainly don't expect to start it up and drive away, but I was
>ignoring a lot of the finer tunings after checking to see they
>"should be close enough to start the darn thing".
>
>  Thanks very much. We have to keep our 1970 Bs on the road. ;>

No problem, and keep us all informed.  :)  You're getting there!  I was just
about in your same place with mine 2 months ago.  This week is the first
week that I've been able to drive it everyday and not have any problems.  :)
However, I had just as much fun working on it (and have some things to go).

Soon, another 70 will be back on the road again.  Heh

Blake