Re: Fitting trannies

To: John Ruse <hologothic@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Fitting trannies
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 12:21:36 -0600
John Ruse wrote:

> I've lost count of the number of times that
> an irate customer has complained that his new Ribcase Midget wont select
> reverse only to advise to unscrew his reverse light switch a few turns!
>
> Any other little similar gems to look out for when tranny fitting on LBCs?

I got one. I had a '74 Midget for many years and went through the tranny on
several occasions. There was one porblem that proved a challenge. When the car
was back together, it would get stuck in first gear. What would happen is that
it seemed to have too much selector travel and the 1st gear ring would slide
back in the tranny far enough that the little detent balls would hang up, if not
jump out.

I looked and looked and looked at this problem and finally fashioned a spacer on
the 1st/2nd selector rod to liit the travel on the fork. But I don't know what
was the cause of the original problem. Any ideas?

--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"The biggest thing that happened to the six-cylinder engine in 20 years was the