Re: to blast or not to blast

To: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: Re: to blast or not to blast
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:24:45 -0600
Whoa. Hot tanking will do a wonderful job for stripping ebsolutely everything
off
of cast iron. It is the best way to get it down to bare metal. However, in the
process, it will destroy the cam bearing shells that typically stay in the
block.
If you are sure you're going to replace the camshaft bearings anyway, then hot
tank it. The little tin snip on the block that contains your serial numbers will
also be lost in a hot tank -- and some cold tanks, too.

There is a "cold tank" process that is just a caustic degreaser. If your engine
isn't terrible dirty then that will do the trick just fine.

FWIW: $3 at the 25 cent self-server car wash has always gotten my stuff clean
enough to paint. If you are going to have the block machined anyway, though, you
can have the block cleaned by the machine shop. Just keep in mind what you want
out the other end.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6