Re: to blast or not to blast

To: Enrique Claure <span@datacom-bo.net>
Subject: Re: to blast or not to blast
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 21:04:35 -0500
Hi Enrique:

Pressure wash the engine at you local car wash then wipe away any remaining
oil/grease residue with varsol or paint thinner.  Wear nitrile gloves.
Apply paint.  If you have any really loose flaky patches or really rusty
patches you can rub them down with brown Scotchbrite.

Don't worry about much more prep than this.  The paint will adhere well to
the casting.  If you're also painting the valve cover you should sand it
out well because of its smooth finish.  The rest doesn't matter.

I would avoid sandblasting.  It's unnecessary on the castings and hard on
the tin.  There is always the danger of getting blasting medium inside the
engine.  This is a BAD THING.

John