Re: More Assorted MG ?

To: mgguyc100@newedge.net
Subject: Re: More Assorted MG ?
From: jkearman@juno.com (James E Kearman)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:14:15 -0500
On Sun, 25 Jan 1998 13:15:20 -0700 (MST) Williams/MG Guy
<mgguyc100@newedge.net> writes:

>Driveshaft: Having removed the non-OD shaft, much to my chagrin, it is
>identical to the one that came with the OD transmission. Raises a
>couple of
>points. Wasn't there supposed to be a difference between OD and non?
>OD
>shorter as I recall? No difference? Perchance I still need a OD
>driveshaft?
>
>In a sudden moment of Homer Simpson-ism, I have now realized that this
>conversion will require an OD speedo and cable. Both of which I
>removed from
>a parted out GT a couple of years ago, and promptly sold to another
>enthusiast - via this actual list! DOH!
>
>So, now I'm searching for an OD speedo. DOH! (again)

Terry's car is a 68, but FWIW, on my 73B roadster, the fitting of an OD
transmission was quite easy. In later Bs the driveshaft is the same on
OD/non-OD transmissions. But the best news was, the speedo didn't need to
be replaced. I followed a friend on the Interstate and confirmed that the
speedo was still accurate.

I did have to replace the speedo cable, though.

Installing an OD transmission is about the best upgrade I can think of.
My gas mileage has increased appreciably and the car is much quieter at
highway speeds.

Cheers,

Jim

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]