Re: New title

To: lottala@mail.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: New title
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 14:53:14 EST
On Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:59:24 -0600 Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
writes:
>>I know of the process but not the company. Alabama doesn't have
>titles on
>>cars (sounds amazing, eh?) so what you get is a fancy bill of sale
>from
>>Alabama and then you go dicker with your state's license office to
>title
>>your 'new' car.
>>--
>>Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
>
>Yes, Alabama does have titles, but not on cars older than 1975. See my
>post
>below to Dave:
>
>>>Hi Dave,
>>>
>>>Alabama doesn't issue titles for cars older than 1975. All we get is
>registration, and all that is required to sell the car is a bill of
>sale
>and the registration. When I registered my car (71 B) this summer, all
>had was a bill of sale (the owner had lost the title). I think it cost
>me
>about $40, tax, license, and registration. I assume that since Alabama
>doesn't issue a title, it would be easy to obtain a title in another
>state
>that does issue them by providing the limited paperwork issued by
>Alabama.

Not totally germain to the discussion but as a matter of interest,
Connecticut does not issue titles to cars older than 1970 - my 69 just
has an "exemption" letter which was free - usual registrations are $72
basic with an ad valorem surcharge (tax!)
Of course, whilst one would never encourage The Devil to sit on ones
shoulder, parts cars often have titles and almost always have vin plates
and one B is much the same as another in the big scheme!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]