Da Hawg Strikes a Heavy Blow

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Da Hawg Strikes a Heavy Blow
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:52:17 -0500
When I got home last night I found my MGA had been pushed off the jack
stands.   My wife apparently bumped into it (Roadmaster 1 : MGA 0).  It
was up on stands while the wheels were being hot tanked in prep for
painting mounting my new tires.  As the bumper was off she dented the
rear a bit.  I  think I can pound it out though I had finally got it to
the point where it was looking good.  The left rear wheel had fallen on
a 4x4 I use to chock the wheels when I jack the front (I find cats make
poor chocks and prefer them for punting and field goal practice).
However the right rear appeared to have hit the concrete (slight mark on
the cement).  The front fell on my new Craftsman 3-drawer tool box that
I had shoved under there yesterday morning to make it less apparent to
thieves (scratch one tool box).  The stands were at their maximum
extension.  I've done some perfunctory checks and, other than the dent
in the rear, every seems okay.  I had removed the gas tank and it
appears that the front end was cushioned by my poor ol' tool box (wonder
if Sears will replace it) and the back by the 4x4.

Are there other things (frame/suspension) I should check and how do I
check them? Likelihood of inapparent damage?  I will not address
non-automotive concerns related to this incident other than to say that
I have spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars and have been
positively obsessive about this car - to the point of polishing the
firing order plate on the heater pipe.

-ralph cordell
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo Regal