Progress and setbacks

To: MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Progress and setbacks
From: john.kahoon@pcohio.com (John Kahoon)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 05:59:00 -0500
Trevor, are you absolutley sure that your valve ( cam) timming is
correct ? Also check the floats in the carbs ( too high, too rich )
I replaced pistons, rings, rod bearings, head gasket, and got my car
to start on one carb ( don't want to go into that ).
It's always something stupid.
John Kahoon
71 midget

TB>Well, today was an interesting day in the life of the
TB>1970 MGB project car I am trying to get back to life. (the
TB>one that I always post that I can't get it to start)

TB>  Did a compression check again, and ALL cylinders
TB>are very low but balanced. Like 55-60 across the board, low
TB>but balanced.

TB>  It seems like from storage, the rings aren't sealing
TB>very well. As well, this engine was running SUPER rich
TB>and had very gasoline-smelling oil. I am guessing that
TB>these two conditions combined to cause poor ring
TB>sealing.

TB>  So, I poured some oil into the bores to help the rings seal,
TB>and POOF it started up in a HUGE smoke cloud and ran for
TB>2-3 seconds and then stopped dead, with enormously
TB>fouled plugs (no surprise there really, with all that oil).

TB>  So I was able to continue this cycle, more oil, it would
TB>leap to life until it's plugs fouled, then I'd have to
TB>clean them off to get abother 2-3 seconds.

TB>  So I appear to be in a catch-22. This engine needs to run
TB>a while to bed the rings in again, but it won't run. One lister
TB>kindly suggested towing the car around for a while in gear,
TB>however I live in the city and can't easily do this.

TB>  One setback that might be serious, that big cloud of smoke
TB>appeared under the hood, not so much out of the tailpipe. I
TB>am hoping it's just an exhaust manifold or gasket and not a
TB>giant crack or a head gasket failure.

TB>  I couldn't see where it was coming from, somewhere on
TB>the manifold side behind the carb heat shield.

TB>  Oh well. Progress, I guess. I am wondering if a long period
TB>of cranking with the starter (pausing to let the starter cool)
TB>would help compression.

TB>  Ideas? Opinions? Criticisms? Offers to haul the car away
TB>and save my blood pressure? ;>

TB>--
TB>Trevor Boicey
TB>Ottawa, Canada
TB>tboicey@brit.ca
TB>http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/
---
 þ SLMR 2.1a þ                         john.kahoon@pcohio.com

 _ _
|_|_| PC-OHIO Interactive * 216-381-3320 * telnet://bbs.pcohio.com
|_|_| Combining The Best BBS & The Web at http://www.pc-ohio.com