Re: Electrical woes

To: BobTorrens@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electrical woes
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:55:46 EST
In a message dated 2/10/98 10:37:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
BobTorrens@AOL.COM writes:

> I have a '78 MGB that refuses to stop - sometimes!  The ignition key is
>  removed and one of two things happens. Either the car continues to run or
>  within 30 seconds after removing the key, the ignition light and cooling
fan
>  come on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bob,

Just a guess, but has someone modified your car to add a manual override
switch for the cooling fan?  If so, that is most likely your problem.  If that
switch is not wired into the circuit properly, it will provide a backfeed, or
a "sneak circuit" path from the fan connection back to the ignition switch.
With this sneak circuit, if the cooling fan thermostat happens to be on when
you shut off the engine, the fan will continue to run, and if the thermostat
calls for the fan to come on after you've shut off the engine, it will turn on
the ignition, causing the ignition light to come on.  Exactly your systems.

I've also heard reports that a failure of the diode in the brake circuit can
cause similar symptoms, but I thought that was for only the 77 model year.  I
have no experience of this myself -- maybe someone else on the list can
comment on this possibility.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'74 MGBGT---3000mile/year driver, original condition, slated for a V8 soon!
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74