Re: Starting Problem

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 10:05:30 -0500
At 08:21 AM 2/11/98 -0500, Steve Bettencourt wrote:

>Ross,

>I suspect it would be the solenoid. Mechanically it works - you can hear it

>click - but the contacts inside may be shot or the contacts for the wires

>to the starter are corroded/ing. Check the connections at the starter also.

>If it is the solenoid it should be a pretty easy fix. When I bought my 76

>parts car recently, it had a push button stuck in the center part of the

>console. Turns out the PO went to a lot of trouble to bypass the solenoid,

>connecting the switch between the key and the starter. After cleaning the

>contacts on the solenoid I got that system working, the engine starts

>normally and now I have slated the parts car for eventual restoration.

I think Steve hit it right on the head.  The clicking noise you hear is

the relay up near your fuse box.  Basically it gives the solenoid juice when

you turn the ignition to start.  The clicking would likely indicate it is
working

properly, but the easiest way to diagnose your problem would be to get a

wiring diagram of the relay and a test light.  Have someone turn the key and
make sure

you are getting voltage at the output of the relay.  If so, then it is likely

your solenoid.  You mention that if you jumper the hot to the starter it works,
which is a dead giveaway that points to the solenoid.  Basically, if you didn't
know it, a solenoid is like a huge relay that handles mega current.  When it is
triggered it opens a line between the battery and your power hungry starter.

Try cleaning up the terminals and posts.  I recently bought one of the boots
which fits over the starter, and it helps immensely to keep corrosion and dirt
from getting to that oh, so expensive starter.  More than likely, though, with
the copper terminals there will not be very much corrosion and the solenoid may
have gone south, ergo replacement.

Lastly, don't be like some stupid PO and rewire your system to bypass the
solenoid.  Do it right the first time and the Lucas gods will leave you alone
for at least another week or so.  Just a reminder, not a scolding.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.