Re: Starting Problem

To: RossOvercash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 20:00:21 +0000
RossOvercash wrote:

> Ok folks this happens on an occasional basis, but as with most occasional
> happenings it is never at a good time!
>
> Get in car insert key in ignition switch turn key, idiot ligth comes on fuel
> pump is working, but guess what?  The starter doesn't turn over.  A clicking
> noise from the relay next to the fuse box is it.  Fiddle with the key a few
> times and if I'm lucky the car will turn over.  If I'm not I lie down on the
> passengers side and jump the terminal from the solenoid to the hot wire from
> the battery an bingo she turns over.
>
> Now the Prince of Darkness has got me here.  I realize this is something
> electrical, ie not the starter motor per se. (Thank God, I've gone through
> enough of those).  But I can't for the life of me figure it out.  It
> happened again this morning.  I started the car warmed it up a bit pulled
> out of the drive, parked the car, came back 5 minutes later and guess what
> you got it no start.
>
> So if any one has a brilliant or not so brilliant suggestion I will be happy
> to take them...
>
> Safety Fast !!!
>
> Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer MA
> http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca/index.htm

Bear in mind that although the relay is be clicking it may not be feeding 12v
down
to the solenoid.  Alternatively one (or more!) of the connectors on the circuit
between the two may be faulty.  If by 'jump the terminal from the solenoid ...'
you
meant the low-current solenoid operating terminal then the solenoid is not at
fault.

PaulH.