Re: Off-Topic--Microsoft Bundling Practice

To: "Craig Wiper" <craigw@sonic.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Off-Topic--Microsoft Bundling Practice
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 21:04:09 -0500

>Personally, I wouldn't want Windows without Internet Explorer (for free!)
>these days. I'm currently using Windows98beta3 with the latest version of
>IE and I've come to depend on both of these systems, like it or not. If I
>bought Windows, and it came with IE embedded in it and I didn't want to use
>it, I'd buy some other program. Duh! If I don't want Windows, I buy a Mac,
>etc...

I second that.  I have Windows NT5 Server (beta1) installed on another
PC...and it has to be MS's best OS to date.  I for one love IE...and there
are many advantages for using IE over NS.  (personally I would like to see
Netscape die...)  If I want an OS that I can manipulate and play with, and
that I can ad delete stuff as I please I will use Linux or one of the free
BSD OSes...oh and you get the source code with those :)

IMHO, Netscape just lost the browser war by throwing in the towel and giving
Netscape Communicator away free...they are also giving away the source code
to Communicator and Navigator.  I feel it was a marketing stunt aimed to
capture the computer media's attention thus giving Netscape some free
advertising and a "good" spotlight especially compared to what has happened
to MS.

I think in the next 20 years once more people become more computer literate
the industry will see the decline of Windows as users typically go in search
of OSes that favor their work habits, and not what is new and fancy...if it
serves their purpose well and does the job they will use it.  I don't feel
users will put up with bloatware much longer...  Even today you can see this
happening...the Unix scene was majorly revived with the explosion of the
Internet.  With so many versions of Unix and so many add-on's I feel Unix
will become (or remain, however you see it) the stronghold of the OS
industry.

With that said, on a personal note...I will be switching to a Unix variant,
Sun Solaris 2.6 as soon as IE4 is in final for Solaris.  I like IE4 so much
that my choice of OS depends on the status of IE.

Randy Rees if you are still on the list (I hope you are) I would love to
know your opinion on this.

Cheers,

Kai Radicke -- kmr@pil.net -- 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
Sonix.Networks -- "Building the Internet, byte by byte..."

IRC: irc.mcs.net, #inet-access (my nick: ActiveX or KMR)