Re: Electrical Woes II

To: BobTorrens@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electrical Woes II
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 19:12:54 +0000
BobTorrens@aol.com wrote:

> First, thanks to all who responded to my "MG that wouldn't quit" problem. In a
> way I feel fortunate to have this problem in that most of us have been in a
> situation where our MG's wouldn't start. Getting back to the problem at
> hand...
> Suggestions appeared to center around faulty diodes in either the alternator
> or brake lamp circuit.  I pulled the alternator  as well as the brake circuit
> diodes to have them tested and thought that I would reconnect the battery just
> to see what happened. Interestingly, the brake lamp came one and I could hear
> a clicking at the ignition relay which told me the starting circuit was being
> energized. All of this is happening without the key. Could this problem be a
> short in the ignition relay or???
> Puzzled,
> Bob Torrens

If this was with the brake-test diode disconnected then it obviously isn't
(just)
the diode.

I'll assume it was the ignition relay that was clicking even though you mention
the 'starting' circuit which has its own relay.  For the brake test lamp to be
on
and the ignition relay energised there must be 12v in the white circuit which
will
connect 12v to the green circuit which will light the brake test lamp.  Check
the
ignition switch.

Other than that you could a bridge between the white circuit and brown or
purple
circuits, or course.  Pulling fuse 4 will tell you if it is the purple circuit
or
not.

PaulH.