The Further Adventures of my 78 B.. and a few more questions.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: The Further Adventures of my 78 B.. and a few more questions.
From: Benjamin Ruset <bruset@monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 19:44:45 -0500
Well, for those of you who remember, last October (!) I bought a
non-running 1978 B from a guy on Long Island. After a day of towing it on a
landscaping trailer from LI to my mechanic in NJ, it sat dormant for a
month or so. A long battle with the ignition system ensued, fortunately
resulting in the relative inexpense of a new coil and ignition box (GM part!)

Yesterday saw the first "serious" work on the car done. I wrestled a new
fuel tank on, and was very fortunate to have a good clean sending unit
(because I forgot to order one!) in my old tank. My mechanic also rebuilt
the carbs. It ran... like crap. But at least it ran.

Today, I went down and changed the oil (which had been in the car since
1985, and looked like it had come from the LaBrea (sp?) tar pits. I mean,
this oil was NASTY. I also replaced the plugs with a set of Autolites. Also
added were four new tires - 185 r60's - Kumo brand. About $57 each. Not
terribly bad.

Tomorrow the car gets backed out of the shop, moving on it's own power for
the first time in thirteen years! It'll get a new battery and get all the
carbon blown out. Then it will go to the body shop, to get metal replaced
and painted. It looks like I'm going to need a new front passenger's side
fender (which I should have soon, cheap) and a new back driver's fender,
which is pretty much bondo (didn't notice it when I bought it. The car must
have been in an accident before...). After that comes the engine
restoration and the interior. Then... you all will see me at the shows! =)

On to the questions:

I have the opportunity to pick up a few extra guages. Namely, water temp,
volt meter, and.. oil temp, I think. It would mount in the radio area, but
I was planning to put the radio there. Anyone else know of any good places
to mount them? They're all in one unit, about the size of the radio.

George Merryweather (sp?) - email me, as I need more parts, and need to see
if the invoice for the previous parts were sent out yet.

Any NJ listers in any of the NJ MG clubs? Email me as I have a few ???'s
about them.

Thanks! =)

BEN RUSET - http://www.monmouth.com/~bruset
Safety Fast & MG Cars Webring -  http://www.infi-pos.com/~oasis