Re: valve adjustment

To: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>
Subject: Re: valve adjustment
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:20:16 -0600
John Steczkowski wrote:

> One question... I adjusted the valves to just have fair resistance on
> the feeler gauge, is that the correct way to do it?

Yep. And extra points for consistency.

> Before I adjusted the valves, they were all tight. Could that cause the
> engine to sound "thrashy"? It sounds like it has less valve noise now
> that it did before, and  I loosened the valves.

If they started off tight, all bets are off. Why would they be tight?
Because the valves are moving closer to the rocker arms. Why would that be?
Because the valve seats (likely) or valves are getting eaten away. Monitor
the situation every few thousand miles. If you continue to have valve
recession, you are a candidate for a "no lead" head rebuild. If things
level out and clearance remains constant -- safety fast!

> One hint... remove the spark plugs and put the car in 4th gear and then
> push/pull it to close the correct valve for adjustment.

Yep. And the Rule of nines.--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
"There is a difference, sometimes, between what is legal and what ought to
be done" -- Bill Clinton, March 7, 1997.