Re: Non-MG tranny problems...

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Non-MG tranny problems...
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:48:44 +0000
Mike Lishego wrote:

> Hello all,
>         A close friend of min recently had some problems with his automatic
> transmission.  It turns out that the dipstick leaked, and it let in huge
>amounts of
> water.  This required a large amount of work to the tranny, but it was
>somehow cheaper
> than buying a new tranny!  Anyway, his mechanic had to sand his third gear,
>and he has
> to drive the car a certain way with the hopes that the third gear will fix
>itself!
> The car will not shift into third now, from what I understand.  Has anybody
>ever heard
> of this?  Is it normal to hope a gear will fix itself?  Has my buddy been
>ripped off?
>  Thanks, and I'm sorry for the semi-off-topic post.  I'm non-auto trans
>inclined!

I had a Scimitar GTE (Ford 3 litre V6) with a Borg Warner type 35 box some
years ago.
 I happened to bump the bottom of the gearbox sump pan and a short time later
found I
was stuck in first.  After a while it then started to shift into second but
several
miles were needed before it would shift into third.  I spoke to a BW engineer
who said
the bump had probably disturbed some dirt in the sump that had got into the
governor.
 He explained how to remove the govenor, which is somewhere near the back of
the box,
and clean it.  He said it was not a difficult job, but I found cleaning the
sump and
filters did the trick.

PaulH.