Re: Our LBC History - yes you asked for it! (long)

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Our LBC History - yes you asked for it! (long)
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:47:02 -0600
    Yes, you asked for it! (did I tell ya'll that I'm a Journalism major?
Don't hold it against me, please!)
    Mine is a case similar to a latent virus hiding in my bones since
childhood, I suppose.
    My brother had a Sunbeam Alpine as one of his many "jalopies"(sp?) when
I was a wee lad of about 5 or 6 years. The only time I remember him getting
it running, I was priveleged to sit behind the driver seat when he took it
around the block, my first LBC ride! Prince Lucas entered some exposed skin
at that time, I assume.
    More vividly...
    (But still those fuzzy youngster kind of memories, like how small your
elementary school looks when you visit it as an adult.)
    At age 7 or 8, my brother-in-law's father had a dark blue GT (don't know
what year, but a chrome bumper). My eye fell on this car on vacation in the
Poconos at their summer cabin. First big fish, a Pike, don't ask me what
lake, first lust over a car. I didn't get a ride in it, it may not have been
running at the time, but they took me to the Pocono Raceway instead. To this
day I still think it's fun to say "MGBGT", don't you?
    Ahhh....fuzzy childhood memories!
    After owning a '67 Bug (bought with only my money -- parents learn from
a jalopy-buyng brother!); an '89 Honda CRX (great car, no personality),
first new car; and a '92 BMW 325is (just drive one and you'll understand),
my appreciation of well designed, fun cars has been evident, but with
increasing detriment to my bottom line, even as it increased.
    Alas, the VW, kept at my parents' house all the while during my Army
world travels because I just couldn't let go (if you want the sordid
memories contained in that car, just use your imagination), was stripped
down by me in TX with no future of becoming as it was in my "fun years", due
to a lack of desire and time.
    I sold the project VW to one of my maintenance NCOs who would bring it
back to life just prior to another move. Ahhh...but I needed a worthy
adversary to fulfill my mechanical angst....Hmmm -- need an inexpensive, fun
to drive, simple, cool looking car that has a character and needfulness not
found often these days....
    The Prince Lucas virus awakened, took hold, and filled my every
thought...an encephalitic (brain) disease, I'm sure.  Is there a doctor in
the house?

Dan
'73 B, sitting 10 meters from this computer, one measly wall separating us.
Ft. Knox, KY