Re: electrical problem I think...

To: Ldanny@concentric.net (danny)
Subject: Re: electrical problem I think...
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 09:22:28 -0500
Hi Danny,

The first thing I would do on any newly acquired car, whether it starts
or not, is replace the standard tune-up parts:  plugs, points, cap,
rotor, condenser, wires.   I realize you've already put some bucks into
the alternator and coil, but I suggest you buy these items too.
Assuming your new battery is good (have you tried jumping it again or
recharging it?), these parts will solve a majority of firing problems,
and will make it a little easier to start, even with a weakened battery.
Make sure the plugs and points are set at the correct gap.

Another possibility is the resistor.  After you had it running, was the
coil very hot?  If you can jump the car and get it running for a while
again, pay close attention to the coil.  Touch it periodically
(carefully) to check for excessive heat.  A very hot coil is a sure sign
of a bad resistance wire.  You can splice in a Chrylser resistor (I can
get the part number, and tell you how to hook it up, if this is your
problem).  Of course, your coil may be burned out already, if it got too
hot the last time it was running.  I went through three burned up coils
before the tech advisor in our local club informed me what the problem
was (I was a "green" mechanic too).

Next, if you still have the old alternator, take it someplace and have
it tested.  It might not be bad at all.  I hate to tell you that, since
you already bought a new one, but if the new one doesn't seem to be
charging the battery, you may have an open circuit somewhere that's
draining the battery.  This will involve a little detective work to
solve the problem, and you can get great advice from the list here,  but
I would try the above items first and see if you can get it running
again.

With the new tune up parts, if you recharge the battery (a garage will
do it cheap if you don't have a charger), it should start and run for a
while even if you have an unknown drain on it.  Replace the tune up
items, charge the battery fully, start 'er up and feel the coil.   You
may find a $3.00 resister may solve the problem.  It did for me.

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort